Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Input-Output

My mom is famous in my family for her sayings...some of which include:


"If all your friends were jumping off a bridge, would you?"
"Just say no, that's the magic word.  NO NO NO!" 
"Look carefully at the closest associations in your life, for that is the direction you are heading."
"What is right is not always popular, and what is popular is not always right." 

They have stuck with me over time and now I think about them when I see people I know and myself doing the wrong thing whenever we know better to do the right thing.  It takes no sense of thought or discernment to say yes to worldly things.  It takes character and obedience to say no.

My husband spoke last Wednesday night at our church.  He spoke on doing the right thing no matter what.  Doing right with small decisions and big decisions.  He used men from the Bible...Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego.  They were faithful to God in the small and the big decisions of life, and God was faithful and saved them from death.  He went on to say that in this world you can argue and debate just about any issue.  It's happening right now all over the internet and every media venue.  People are debating issues and some believe there's gray areas... but I believe that's not true.  I believe God gave us the guide book of life.  Any questions are answered in there.  It is black and white truth.  There is no gray area.  There is right and wrong. 

When I was a little girl, I learned a song that I can't remember the entire lyrics to, but this is the part I remember.  "Input, Output, what goes in must come out, daily you must choose."  I think that is where the gray area came from.  What we "input" into our minds and hearts.  What are you reading?  What are you watching?  What are you singing?  Whatever you put into your mind, will eventually come out in you.  If you fill your mind with garbage and impure thoughts, what is gonna come out?  When you are at home?  Garbage.  When you are alone?   Garbage.  When you are worshipping?  Garbage.  When you are at school, on a date, in the car????  Garbage.  I know I am being harsh, but we cannot think that these things we think on won't effect our lives. 

Solomon said it first: Prov 4:23 - Watch over your heart with all diligence, for from it flow the springs of life.
Prov 23:7 - For as he thinks in his heart, so is he.
Mt 12:34-35 - And Jesus said: For the mouth speaks out of that which fills the heart. The good man out of his good treasure brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of his evil treasure brings forth what is evil.
Galatians 6:7 - Do not be deceived, God is not mocked.  For whatsoever a man sows, that he will also reap.
Phil 4:8-9…whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things…practice these things; and the God of peace shall be with you.


So, that being said, if you want good things to flow from you, you will choose to read, watch, listen to good things.  It is your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment