Sunday, June 24, 2012

Grass-Fed Beef

Okay, so this blog entry is informational and not inspirational.  I apologize.  But I wanted to explain why we do grass-fed beef and why it is so good for you to eat. 
First of all, our meat is pesticide, antibiotic, and hormone free.  And they never have a lick of corn.  The first question from customers who visit our farm is, "Where's the feeders?"  Which means, where are your feed troughs that you give grain and other antibiotic-filled pellets?  Most cattle have to have tons of antibiotics because they don't get fresh grass and are on a feed-lot their whole lives constantly fighting diseases.  Most farmers we talk to just can't understand how our cows survive the winter without grain.  But they do, and very robustly so.  While it is true that they fatten more quickly on grain, it does not do their bodies good, nor does it do our bodies good.  So the cattle community of course wants to quickly and efficiently make as much money as possible and they do.  But red meat then becomes bad for our hearts and our health.  I will refute this with our grass-fed beef.
Our cows are moved daily and sometimes twice a day to ensure fresh grass daily.  They are rotated so that they only come back to the same pasture once every 45 days.  This type of rotational grazing allows our cattle to have "good fat."  Which I knows seems like an oxy-moron, but it truly isn't.  There are good fats and bad fats.  Omega-3 fatty acids...good....Omega-6...bad...:)  Every day that cows spend in a feed lot, it's supply of omega-3's diminishes.  Omega 3 helps fight cancer, reduce the risk of heart disease, and increase blood-flow.  Those are just a few of the important things. :) 

Anyway, I just wanted to clarify the difference in our cattle.  We are doing something a little different.  And while I am not a health fanatic...which I think is very admirable, I am kind of in the middle somewhere.  And while I try to eat right, sometimes a good old brownie or coca-cola gets the best of me.  ;)  So while some may tell you that grass-fed meat is lean and chewy and flavorless...I disagree!  I believe healthy GRASSFAT omega 3 meat is our goal!  It is full of flavor and marbeling.  And last night I had a filet that was better than any restaurant filet I've had.  And believe me, I grew up eating tons of steak.  Well, thanks for reading my ramblings.  I hope those of you who have bought our meat are satisfied, and those who haven't give it a try sometime.  We appreciate your business!

Bo and Sarah T

One of our calves...

No comments:

Post a Comment