Sunday, June 17, 2012

Dry

As I sit here, I am looking out at the fields of hay.  Or something that's supposed to look like lush, green fields of hay, but looks more like a wheat field.  The goats and cows don't seem to mind yet.  They still have plenty to eat, but it looks like the beginning of fall instead of the first of summer...which actually doesn't begin til this week.  Unbelievable I know!  I went out to help Bo tonight, which I tend to do regularly, and wore my sandals.  That was a bad decision.  The dried out hay poked at my bare feet and hurt.  It was then that I made the connection of how bad we need rain. 
I mean, I know we have needed rain, but it is now detrimental to the longevity of our fields.  We will quickly be feeding hay bales to the animals if rain doesn't come down.  And whatever happened today doesn't count as a rain shower if it only lasts 2 minutes. 
My brain is constantly making comparisons of things, so that's why I tend to blog the way that I do.  But this dry land reminded me of how dry in spirit we get sometimes.  We give and give to our families and to the people around us.  We are tired physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually.  We are dried up because we don't spend enough time in the presence of the One who fills us up.  I don't want to be that person.
I want to constantly be filling up with the Spirit.  I always know when I'm not spending enough time with God.  I get irritable and short.  I get angry and spew words that aren't uplifting or caring.  I yell at the boys.  I start to dry up and crumble into someone I don't want to be.  I then realize...whoa, I think it's been a few days since I've spent some time with God.  Because when I'm spending time in the Word every day and praying, I feel totally different.  Of course life still gets crazy, but I'm more calm.  I'm more understanding.  I am more discerning.  I am a better mom and wife. 
Just like the pastures when they are rained upon on a regular basis, they are green and growing.  They are lovely to look at and provide life to others.  And when the animals eat it all, new growth immediately is following what has been consumed.  It never stops.  Without the water, the fields eventually dry up and die and are of no use to the animals.  Same with me.  Without Jesus, I become useless to others and have nothing to offer. 
I've known the Lord since I was five.  So I have seen patterns in my life throughout the years of knowing Jesus.  There have been times where I have seeked Him with longing and times I have just went through the motions.  Too much I have gone through the motions of being the good Christian girl.  Doing what every one thinks is right and looking like the good girl.  I don't want that.  I want to do the right things because I have a passion to please Jesus and reach others.  Remember this song by Matthew West?
This might hurt, it's not safe
But I know that I've gotta make a change
I don't care if I break,
At least I'll be feeling something
'Cause just okay is not enough
Help me fight through the nothingness of life

I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more day
without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
"What if I had given everything,
instead of going through the motions?"

No regrets, not this time
I'm gonna let my heart defeat my mind
Let Your love make me whole
I think I'm finally feeling something
'Cause just okay is not enough
Help me fight through the nothingness of this life

'Cause I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more day
without Your all consuming passion inside of me
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
"What if I had given everything,
instead of going through the motions?"

Don't just go through the motions of life.  Don't just be the "good girl" because it's what you've always done.  Find your passion through Jesus and be full of life through His Spirit.
 
Matthew 5: 6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.

John 4:13-14 Jesus answered and said to her, “Everyone who drinks of this water shall thirst again; 14 but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life.”

John 7:37 On the last day of the feast, the great day, Jesus stood up and cried out, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink.




No comments:

Post a Comment