Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Mommy War

I wonder why I even bother to write while being pregnant.  My brain cells seemed to have frozen up.  I can't remember normal words while forming a sentence.  Things such as, "Brody, can you please put your wrapper in the ?????"  I'm searching for the word trash, or garbage can.  But nothing is coming to the surface, so I say "thing."  By which he replies, "what thing?"  AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!  What's wrong with me??  Why is my memory like that of an 85 year old woman?  How come I can't remember why I went upstairs???  Or where I put my phone 5 seconds ago?  Thankfully, I know there is an end.  I will regain part of my brain back.  Though I have been informed that it may never fully return.  I believe it's the life of a mother.  Our days are so packed with lists of things to do that it's normal that you would go ahead and throw your new iphone, which you totally forgot was in your back pocket, into the washer for a full cycle.  UGH!  That one got me in big trouble.  :)  But life must go on! 

Well, I have recently been battling as a mother, the judgmental attitude of mothers.  I'm not sure that even makes sense, but I will try to explain as best as my misfiring brain can.  Recently I was upset by two people groups..."working" moms and "stay at home" moms.  One of my friends said, "I have double duty, I work all day and then I have to come home and take care of the kids.  My job never ends."  I was thinking, but didn't say, And what exactly do you think I do all day?  Knit?  Eat brownies?  Nap?  If you honestly believe that you are dead wrong.  My day never ends as well.  Then there is the other side of the spectrum.  I have a friend who told me, "I don't even know why women have children if they aren't going to raise them."  Really?  Do you honestly believe that every woman is wired to do the same thing in life?  And just because you work that you aren't raising your children?  My mama worked her whole life and I don't feel like I was raised by anyone else but my mama.  I honestly cannot even tell you who babysat me while mom went to work.  I can't remember that far back.  I have never felt neglected or unloved because my mom didn't stay home.  I hope I'm not ranting too much, but I just feel like there is so much hostility between moms.

Honestly there are times I would love to work outside the home to regain some sanity and adult interaction.  It doesn't happen often, but that is because God has put it in my heart to stay home.  I have a college degree and am a competent worker, but this is a dream that God gave to me personally.  This is my life's work.  It doesn't mean it's all women's life work.  But if you are working and God has put this on your heart, then I believe He will make a way financially for it to happen.  There are sacrifices that we make as a family, but this is what we believe we are to do, so we do it.  And if you are a stay at home mother and hate every day of it, then you need to start praying about what it is you are supposed to be doing.  Because I promise God doesn't want you to loathe working at home your entire life.  We are wired differently.  Each woman is not the same.  We are unique.  Stop the mommy hating!  It's one of the hardest jobs there is...raising kids.  You are doing it whether you are working inside or outside of the home.  Well that is my rant for the day.  It has been bothering me lately.  I am not going to apologize to anyone for staying home.  I despise the question, "Do you work?"  Why yes, yes I do, all day, just like the rest of the world. 

So next time you are tempted to judge what other moms are doing, think again!  Support them, be there for them, hug them, pray for them.  All of us need encouragement to keep doing what we were called to do. 

Remember the Proverbs 31 woman ladies! 

Epilogue: The Wife of Noble Character  (Proverbs 31:10-31)

10 [b]A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
11 Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
13 She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.
14 She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.
15 She gets up while it is still night;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her female servants.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.
18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.
19 In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20 She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.
21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22 She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.
26 She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27 She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all.”
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
31 Honor her for all that her hands have done,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

No comments:

Post a Comment