Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Branded


This is our new brand for our cows.  It came in the mail a few weeks ago.  This will put our mark on the cattle to identify them as Troyer Family Farm cows.  I immediately thought of scripture when I saw this thing come out of the box.  In Isaiah 49, it reads, "See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me..." 

There is so much more I could say about this chapter in Isaiah, but this is what I want to focus on:  the Jews had a track record of constant repentance and restoration.  They would always end up forgetting what God had done for them, and not believe that He could save them from their current situation.  I feel like sometimes my faith is like that.  In the moment that God is helping me, I'm all gung-ho about His faithfulness.  But the minute the next crisis comes along, I fret and fail to remember His constant presence in my life.  But think of that verse..."I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me..." 

Once we receive salvation, we are engraved on the palms of His hands.  We are ever before Him.  He constantly cares for us.  Not just when we are good, or following after Him perfectly...but ENGRAVED there.  I read a brief history of cattle brands, and it said, "The purpose of cattle branding is to be a visible and permanent mark of ownership. It is used to prevent theft and to identify the owner of a lost animal. It can also provide anyone with the animal's history."  Wow.  How applicable is that to our own lives?  So not only are we engraved on Him that moment of salvation, but we then bear His image.  Our lives should reflect His ownership over us.  When people see us, they should see HIM.  When people encounter me, they should encounter Jesus. 

So for me the lesson is two-fold.  My God will not/cannot forget me.  I am engraved on Him.  He is always with me, never leaves my side.  He cares about each issue I'm dealing with: past, present, future.  And, I'm an image-bearer of my Jesus...my comfort, my love, my savior, my friend, my God. 

I know there is so much more I could say and expound upon.  But just think on that.  How loved we are.  And how are we showing that love? 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment